Variances allow minor deviations from zoning requirements that regulate how a property may be developed, but only when unique circumstances affecting that particular property are demonstrated. Requests for a variance from the Unified Development Ordinance must be approved by the Zoning Board of Appeals (ZBA). Variance requests presented before the ZBA include:

Building height maximum
Front, side, or rear yard setbacks
Minimum stream buffer requirements
Parking requirements 

To request a variance, contact Aileen de la Torre, Planner, Planning and Zoning Division at 678-553-6596 or aileen.delatorre [at] for a pre-application conference and complete the variance application.


Special Exceptions

Special exceptions are similar to variances but are associated with the C-2 zoning district, MU zoning district, and the special pedestrian area overlay district. Requests for a special exception from the Unified Development Ordinance must be heard before the Planning Commission and City Commission. Common special exceptions include:

Minimum off-street parking requirements for dwellings in the C-2 zoning district
Required landscaped buffer areas between commercial and residential zoning districts
Special pedestrian area requirements

To request a special exception, contact Angel Threadgill, Planning and Economic Development Director,678-553-6575 or angela.threadgill [at] for a pre-application conference and complete the special exception application.