City services are provided by the General Government Department under the direction of the City Manager, through operating departments established by the City Commission. The City Manager appoints department heads subject to confirmation by the City Commission and appoints all other City employees in accordance with established personnel policies. The General Government Department provides staff support for the City Commission, general management services, operations management services, and personnel management services. Employees of this department also serve as the central staff to respond to service requests, information requests and complaints.
The primary goals of the General Government Department are to:
• Ensure that policies established by the City Commission are carried out effectively.
• Ensure that all City departments provide the best possible services at the least possible cost.
• Preserve and enhance the City's residential neighborhoods.
• Promote the economic vitality of the City's commercial areas.
• Provide timely and accurate assistance to citizen requests and concerns.
City of Decatur Annual Report 2013
Decatur has a history of pushing forward and meeting new challenges. The fact that others are remarking on our efforts and our success is just one measurement that we are moving towards the vision set by our citizens and achieving the goals set out in the Strategic Plan.
> Annual Report 2013