City services are provided by the General Government Department under the direction of the City Manager, through operating departments established by the City Commission. The City Manager appoints department heads subject to confirmation by the City Commission and appoints all other City employees in accordance with established personnel policies. The General Government Department provides staff support for the City Commission, general management services, operations management services, and personnel management services. Employees of this department also serve as the central staff to respond to service requests, information requests and complaints.
The primary goals of the General Government Department are to:
• Ensure that policies established by the City Commission are carried out effectively.
• Ensure that all City departments provide the best possible services at the least possible cost.
• Preserve and enhance the City's residential neighborhoods.
• Promote the economic vitality of the City's commercial areas.
• Provide timely and accurate assistance to citizen requests and concerns.
City of Decatur Annual Report 2014
The 2014 City of Decatur Annual Report highlights achievements in governance, quality of life, characteristics, innovation, participation and performance. Each section is introduced by one of the city commissioners or city manager and includes data from the 2014 National Citizens Survey.
> Annual Report 2014