Christy Amador (Co-chair)
Yvonne Druyeh Dodd
David T. Lewicki
Lauren Sudeall Lucas
Sara Shay Sullivan (Co-chair)
Advisors and Liaisons
Monthly Meeting Schedule
The Better Together Advisory Board meets on the first Tuesday of every month from 6:30 to 8 p.m. in the City Commission Conference Room, Decatur City Hall, 509 N. McDonough St.
In 2015 approximately 800 citizens contributed a combined total of more than 1,300 hours to create the Better Together Community Action Plan for Equity, Inclusion and Engagement. The plan contains specific action items for individuals, organizations and local government to undertake in order to cultivate a just, welcoming, inclusive, equitable and compassionate city. The Decatur City Commission established the Better Together Advisory Board in 2016 to guide and advise the Commission and the community around issues of equity, inclusion and engagement.
The board's responsibilities include:
- Assisting city staff with public education and outreach activities that promote equity, inclusion and engagement.
- Supporting established programs and organizations in the community working to promote a more just, welcoming, inclusive, equitable and compassionate city.
- Providing recommendations regarding the implementation of the Better Together Community Action Plan.
- Assisting with identifying and providing training and resources to educate community members about respectful, meaningful conversations across differences.
- Assisting city staff with regular updates to the community resource list (asset map).
- Assisting in the development of a strategic, integrated outreach plan in order to involve a broad spectrum of community members in city life.
- Providing recommendations in all subject areas of equity, inclusion, and engagement.
- Providing recommendations for internal program evaluation and reporting and assisting city staff in periodically reporting to the City Commission on program effectiveness.
The Better Together Advisory Board functions much like the Active Living and Lifelong Community boards, providing an opportunity for residents with an interest and expertise in the areas of equity, inclusion, and engagement to assist the city in moving the Community Action Plan forward.
The City Commission appoints nine members to serve three-year terms on the board. They should reflect the city’s commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and engagement and should have expertise in professional fields and interests such as conversations across differences, communications, community engagement, community organizations, community outreach, compassionate community initiatives, diverse populations, diversity training, education/school systems, equity and inclusion, facilitation, fundraising, marketing, disability advocacy, research, and welcoming initiatives.
If you'd like to serve on the Better Together Advisory Board, fill out the Statement of Interest Form.
For more information on the Better Together Advisory Board and the Better Together Community Action Plan for Equity, Inclusion and Engagement, contact Linda Harris at 678-553-6512 or firstname.lastname@example.org