Be Safe and Be Seen
Make yourself visible to drivers
• Be predictable. Follow the rules of the road and obey signs and signals.
• Walk on sidewalks whenever they are available.
• If there is no sidewalk, walk facing traffic and as far from traffic as possible.
• Keep alert at all times. Don’t be distracted by electronic devices that take your eyes and ears off the road.
• Cross streets at crosswalks or intersections whenever possible. This is where drivers expect pedestrians.
• Look for cars in all directions – including those turning left or right.
• If a crosswalk or intersection is not available, locate a well-lit area where you have the best view of traffic. Wait for a gap in traffic that allows you enough time to cross safely, and continue to watch for traffic as you cross.
• Never assume a driver sees you. Make eye contact with drivers as they approach you to make sure you are seen.
• Be visible at all times. Wear bright clothing during the day, and wear reflective materials or a light at night. Carry a flashlight or wear a light.
• Watch cars entering or exiting driveways, or backing up in parking lots.
• Avoid alcohol and drugs when walking; they impair your abilities and judgment too.